Monday, October 31, 2011

The Science Project - Part Two

The second container I made wicking beds from were you cheep plastic storage containers:

 So with a plastic container, some polly pipe and a couple of right angle bends we were ready to get started.  I attached the polly pipe to the angled pieces to make a U shape. In the horizontal piece I cut several slots in the bottom of the pipe to allow for drainage.








I then wrapped the bottom piece of pipe in hessian to make sure no potting mix got into my polly pipe and potentially clog it up. Drill some over flow holes in the side of the container, level with the top of the horizontal polly pipe.








You then need to fill the bottom of you contain with a medium which allows water to pool in it, something like straw (which I used) or pebbles. This is going to be your water reservoir. Sand is no good as it is too fine and makes a poor water reservoir.






Place some more hessian on top of the straw (pebbles) so that you can keep the growing mix out of your water reservoir, this barrier however should not impede the wicking affect.






Once again fill you container with a quality potting mix.











Here I used clear plastic over the top of my seeds to act as a green house, facilitate germination, and stop too much moisture loss. If I had planted seedlings, I would have just mulch heavily.







Fill your water reservoir through your polly pipe until water flows out of your overflow holes.

Next to the plastic containers you can see bales of sugar cane mulch (you can also use straw bales). I dug out the cane mulch about 3 to 4 inches deep, added potting mix and manure, and water for 2 weeks, I then planted these up with seedlings and mulched. The plastic wrap helps to keep in the moisture, be sure to stab a few overflow holes though to prevent water logging.


Once the seedlings come through you can remove the plastic cover and mulch heavily.




I have been enjoying lots of harvest from my science project, it has been great fun. One change I would make though is to set up a siphoning system with the containers so that they can be self watering, all you would have to do is make sure the main water reservoir that you would need to store water for the self watering is kept topped up, otherwise if you run out of water you break the siphon.

Happy Harvesting.........you can find all this info and lots more on You Tube.

No comments:

Post a Comment